Are you facing an issue on your system like QuickBooks Error 6147? And looking for how to fix this error then you are on the right article. In this article, we discuss the steps to troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6147 and its symptoms & causes. But firstly, we recommend you to know something about this error.
QuickBooks error 6147 belongs to the 6000 series. It will appear when QuickBooks is not able to restore the backup from the local system and try to open the company file/backup files. Make sure that the QuickBooks desktop is up to date on your system. And to fix the damaged QuickBooks company file you can use the QuickBooks file doctor tool. Whenever this error occurs on your system then an error message will pop up on the device “Error code -6147, 0 when attempting to open my computer file or a backup file” OR “-6144, -82 This is not a QuickBooks data file or there is a problem with the data file.”
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6147
There are the following causes which help to identify the QuickBooks error 6147:
- The company file is damaged and corrupted.
- The error will appear when restoring QuickBook’s backup file from the external drive or network.
- Maybe the QBW. the file is damaged.
- When the wrong information and data are available in the QuickBooks company file.
- If the company file is opened in the mapped drive that will either be deleted or deleted by the third party.
- Malicious attack from malware or virus.
- Incorrect installation of QuickBooks will appear as an issue.
- The maximum limit of the backup file name is beyond 210 characters and if the is exceeded then this error may appear.
- When the Erroneous deletion of QuickBooks related files.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6147
- When this error arrives then an active program window will get crushed.
- The window will shut down automatically to protect the PC from damage.
- An error message will appear on your device.
- The input like mouse and keyboard will respond slowly.
- Whenever this error occurs then your system will crash frequently for a few seconds.
- The restoring of the backup file will be unsuccessful.
Methods to resolve QuickBooks Error 6147
There are the following methods to troubleshoot your error 6147. Follow all the steps correctly and according to the cause of your QuickBooks Error 6147:-
Method 1- Start QuickBooks File Doctor
- The first step to do is Download and Install QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official site of Intuit.
- Run this tool on your computer server.
- Then, go to the company file issues and select the Run QB File Doctor option.
- After performing the above steps the file doctor tool will automatically open.
- Then you have to follow instructions which appear on your computer screen.
Method 2- Shift QuickBooks File to another location.
- Make sure that the hosting of the system is off.
- Then go to the QuickBooks and click on the File Menu and then Utilities.
- If the see Stop Hosting Multiple-User option then stops the access of Hosting Multiple users.
- Click on yes for the next page.
- To close the company file tap on the YES option.
- At last, try to restore the backup file.
Method 3- use the Trend Micro Active Scan
- Find the location of the company file and note it down.
- Tap on the Ctrl button and click on the QuickBooks icon without the company file.
- Then the company file will show up on the top.
- Select the company file from the list.
- When you open the company file then it will show the location of the file.
- Now, go to the Trend Micro active scan and choose the Scan setting.
- Find the file folder and allow the exception.
Method 4- change the name of the QuickBooks file .ND and .TLG file
- Open that folder where the company file is stored.
- Then, find the .ND and .TLG files:
- Company_ file.qbw.tlg
- Right-click on the file and select the rename option and add OLD at the end with each file.
- Open your QuickBooks again and sign in to your company file.
Method 5- rename the .ADR file
- Firstly, go to the folder where the company file is stored.
- Now, find the .ADR file.
- Then open the .ADR file and search the recent file.
- Right-click on it and from the drop-down box select the rename option.
- At last, rename the file to .qbw
Method 6- QuickBooks processes Close
- Firstly, you have to log in as an Administrator on your server.
- Then press and hold the Ctrl+Shift+Esc key together.
- By selecting the Users tab, it will show the processes of all the users.
- Highlight the QuickBooks processes:
- Select the End Task.
- Now, open the company file in multi-user mode to end the process.
Method 7- Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Download and install the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool on your device.
- This tool will help to fix the error which is related to the installation of QuickBook.
Method 8- Create a Backup File from a Different Location.
- Make sure that the hosting is not done.
- Click on the File menu and opt for Utilities.
- Then, tap on the stop hosting multi-user option from the list and continue the steps below-mentioned:
- Stop the hosting of multi-user access.
- Tap on YES and then wait for the next window will appear.
- With the company file close click on the Yes button.
- Restore the backup file which is present on the system to end the process.
In this article, we discuss the steps to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 6147. I hope this article will be helpful for you and fix the issue from your system. If you have other issues then read our other articles also.
Leave a Reply