What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are tiny bugs that can hide in cracks and folds of linens and mattresses. They also take cover in areas of wallpaper, drawers, or clothing. Bed bugs are hard to detect, but you can spot them by searching the areas they like to hide. If you notice them, it is essential to contact a bed bug control company immediately, as they are difficult to remove once you have an infestation.
What are the signs and symptoms of a bed bug infestation?
- The first thing to look for is bedbug bites. Although these bugs prefer humans, they also feed on animals and birds. They travel up to five feet from their nesting area before feeding. You may notice red welts or bumps on your skin. They typically appear in rows or zigzag patterns. If you have noticed one of these, you should immediately contact a professional home pest control service.
- Another early sign is small white spots and eggs on your mattress. You can also check the rest of your furnishings for signs of these bugs. Use a flashlight to look behind headboards and behind cushions. You can also peel back fabric staples if you see them. If you notice these signs, you probably have a bed bug infestation. And don’t forget to take photos of the infested areas.
- It may take anywhere from five to ten days for the bites to develop into itchy welts. In some cases, these bites may take up to 14 days to appear, but this depends on the person and the type of bedbugs. While bedbug bites are painful, many people will not notice them until they are in an area where they are exposed. If you journey these symptoms, it is essential to search for on the spot clinical attention.
The effect of bed bug on human body
Bedbugs are small insects, their bites are typically red and start to appear within 24 hours. They can be hard to notice, but their red, itchy skin is a sign of an infestation. You should remove any items in the room that may attract these insects to your bed, and make sure that your furniture is clean and free of clutter. Typically, bedbug bites appear on exposed skin such as the back, hands, and neck. However, these bites will not be visible to others unless they are in an area that is heavily exposed.
Symptoms of a bed bugs cause itchy bites, swelling, or fever. If you develop an allergic reaction to a bedbug bite, you should contact a health care provider immediately. Besides providing medical treatment, Mayo Clinic has free health information and expertise on health management. Bedbugs may be spread through luggage or clothing.
How do you get rid of bed bugs?
Bedbugs can also hide in carpets, sofa cushions, and joints on furniture. The presence of bedbugs in these places makes it essential to find them and treat them quickly.
- Vacuuming is another effective way to remove bedbugs. Make sure to vacuum thoroughly and then dispose of the bag outside.
- To remove the bedbugs from clothing, you can try placing them in sealed plastic bags and freezing them. Be sure to do this for four days straight. Then, remove the bags and throw them in the garbage outside. You can also use sticky tape to remove bed bugs from walls.
- Bedbugs like warm, moist, and dark surfaces, so it’s important to treat all of these areas. You need to separate treated and untreated furniture to prevent them from spreading further.
- Also, treat your clothing and place them in clear plastic bags. You can also apply the treatment to the entire room if you wish. Just make sure to keep them out of the area after the treatment to prevent the bugs from spreading.
Where do bed bugs come from?
Temperature-controlled buildings also provide a better environment for bed bugs to survive without blood. In temperature-controlled buildings, they can last between one and four months without feeding. In order to lay eggs, adult female bed bugs must periodically feed. Humans are the most common source for bedbugs. However, bed bugs are found in nearly every place where humans congregate, including car seats and tables. These pests are often attracted to the warmth and carbon dioxide that people produce. They select napping human beings with uncovered physique parts. As such, exclusion from these areas is key to eliminating the problem.
Different type of mattresses and how to get rid of bed bugs from mattresses
Queen-size mattresses are the most popular in the U.S., but they are still smaller than queen-size mattresses. Full-size mattresses are 60 inches wide and 80 inches long, and they are ideal for single people or couples. Twin XL bed is also an option for single sleeping person. The difference between twin XL vs queen is queen mattress is 22’’ wider than twin XL. For families with children, they are a great option. If you want more space in your bedroom, you can opt for a king-size mattress, but be careful that it does not overwhelm the room. Before purchasing a mattress, you should take the measurements of the room.
If you’ve noticed that your bedding is dotted with dead bugs, then it’s time to get rid of them. There are several methods you can use to kill bed bugs. Washing your bedding in hot water and drying in the dryer will help kill off these bugs. Mattress covers and box spring covers can help keep dust mites away from your bed, as can sealing cracks with duct tape.